Grandma always knew best...right? This time she has definitely got it right. A soft, vanilla flavoured tea cake with pockets of raspberries and chunks of white chocolate morsels, topped with a crunchy roast almond topping. This cake is super moist, not too sweet and will last (if you're lucky) for about a week in an airtight container in the cupboard.
Almonds are one of those super foods and make a great snack- even if you are on a diet. These versatile little nuts are packed full of protein, vitamin E, cancer fighting properties and plenty of favour. Almonds can be eaten raw, toasted or roasted. They're available as a flour, slivered, flaked, crushed, whole, as an oil, a butter or even as a milk.
It's recommended by dietitians to include a handful of almonds in your diet every day and fortunately for us, they are readily available throughout the year and can be used in both savoury and sweet dishes. Just one handful of almonds contains 1/8th of our necessary daily protein.
2/3 cup (150g/5.3oz)) caster sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup (150g/5.3oz) self-raising flour, sifted
150g (5.3oz) almond meal
3/4cup (135g/4.75oz) white chocolate chips
150g fresh or frozen raspberries
2/3 cup (50g/1.8oz) flaked almonds- lightly toasted
icing sugar, to dust
Double thick cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F). Grease and line base and sides of a 20cm cake pan.
2. Beat the butter and caster sugar until thick and pale.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add the almond extract and milk, then beat to combine.
5. Fold in the flour and almond meal, then fold in the chocolate chips and raspberries.
6. Spoon into the pan, and smooth flat.
7. Bake for 50 mins or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
8. Cool cake in pan for 10 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
9. Sprinkle generously with a layer of toasted almonds and dust with icing sugar.
10. Serve with a large dollop of double cream.
Now there are lots of good reasons to enjoy your cake this weekend!